This list relates to UK based support, though some online services and information will be accessible worldwide.

  • Speak to your GP. Your GP can discuss medication options if you want to consider this and can usually refer you to counselling or cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) within the NHS.
  • Out of GP hours, you can phone 111, or call 999 if you or someone you know is in crisis. You can also go to your local A&E.
  • The Samaritans offer emotional support to anyone in need and are open 24/7. They can be contacted by email on or by phoning 116 123.
  • CALM offer support, a helpline and a webchat specifically for men feeling suicidal. Their helpline on 0800 58 58 58 is open 5pm – midnight every day.
  • Papyrus offers support specifically for young people up to the age of 35 who are feeling suicidal. You can call their Hopeline on 0800 068 41 41, email them on or text on 07786 209697. They are open 10am-10pm weekdays, 2am-10pm weekends and 2pm-5pm on bank holidays. Their website also offers advice on what to do if you’re worried about someone.
  • Maytree is a sanctuary in London where you can go if you are feeling suicidal. They offer support 24 hours a day but are a small team so you may have to leave a message and await a call back. They can be called on 020 7263 7070 or emailed on

Other Options for Accessing Support and Counselling:

  • You can find a private registered counsellor on the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) register here. Some therapists offer a sliding scale on fees, so it is worth checking their profile and contacting a few to ask if money is a problem.
  • Some Employee Assistance Programs and insurance policies offer access to counselling, so it is worth checking if you can access any.
  • Universities and schools usually have their own wellbeing and/or counselling services.
  • Training colleges and charities often offer low cost counselling so you could ask your GP, contact any local counselling service to ask for recommendations or google to see if there are any in your area.
  • Local and national charities often offer helplines and support specific to different needs, disabilities or situations so again it is worth a google. For example, CRUSE offer support to those who have been bereaved.
  • Mind offer a huge range of information relating to mental health, including information here on coping with suicidal feelings.


Feeling low or suicidal? Where to get help…
Like it? Share It. Thank you!
Tagged on:                                                     

One thought on “Feeling low or suicidal? Where to get help…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow for Updates!

Get the latest posts delivered to your mailbox: